There are a variety of fruits, veggies, herbs and spices we can use to promote our overall health and alleviate a number of conditions, some of them are known to us while we’re completely ignorant about others and need to discover them to improve our overall quality of life.
Some of these plants are quite cheap and we use them on a regular basis, while other can be rather expensive and we can’t afford taking advantage of their benefits. Among these more expensive fruits is the Pitahaya or Dragon fruit, which is considered to be the most expensive fruit in the world but holds a number of health benefits in its peculiar outer shell.
The Pitahaya is among the most special and expensive fruits known to us and its health benefits are immense. The fruit was first cultivated in America but it soon spread throughout the world and can now be found on all continents.
The fruit is mild and sweet in taste, very similar to the taste of melon, but its outer shell is scaly and can be bothersome to peel. There are 3 types of pitahayas: red ones which are red on the outside and inside as well, yellow which are yellow on the outside but white on the inside and white ones which are pink on the inside and white on the outside.
Health benefits of Pitahaya
- Lowers the risk of colon cancer and diabetes thanks to its ability to lower excess sugar in your body
- Cleanses your body from toxins
- Disinfects your body
- Gives you a sense of satiety and promotes weight loss due to the high fiber content and low calorie count
- It’s rich in vitamins and minerals which have an anti-aging effect on your body
- Lowers your cholesterol levels
- It’s rich in magnesium, calcium and omega 3s, which promote your overall health.
It may be that the Pitahaya is a bit expensive but considering its health benefits it’s surely worth the high price we pay for it.